This is a cold (or room temperature) salad. It has a complex taste that actually taste better as you eat it. So many fresh ingredients and fresh citrus makes this perfect for any occasion.
- 1 cup long grain wild rice
- sea salt
- 2 navel oranges
- 2 tablespoons good olive oil
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed orange juice
- 2 tablespoon raspberry or apple cider vinegar
- 3/4 cup seedless green grapes, cut in half
- 1/2 cups pecans, chopped and toasted
- 1/4K cup dried cranberries or golden raisins
- 2 tablespoons scallions, chopped
- 1/2 freshly ground black pepper
- salt to taste
Place the wild rice in a medium pot with 4 cups of water and 2 teaspoons of salt and bring to a boil. Simmer uncovered for 50 to 60 minutes, until the rice is very tender. Drain well and place the rice back in the pot. Cover and allow to seam for 10 minutes.
While the rice is still warm, place it in a mixing bowl. Peel the oranges with a sharp knife, removing all the white pith. Cut between the membranes, cut the segments in half, then add the orange sections to the bowl. Add the olive oil, orange juice, vinegar, grapes, pecans, cranberries, scallions, 1/2 teaspoon of salt and the pepper. Allow the rice salad to sit for 30 minutes for the flavors to blend. Serve room temperature or refrigerate.