This is a great make ahead breakfast casserole/strata. The sweetness of the apples along with the spicy sausage gives this strata a delicious taste. It will please your guest and save time in the morning! Great for serving at your next Brunch!
- 6 English muffins split in half
- 1 pound Jimmy Dean ground maple sausage
- 1 sweet onion, diced
- 2 apples, peeled, cored and diced in small chunks (best for baking is Honeycrisp)
- 8 whole sage leaves, minced
- 8 large eggs
- 2 cups half and half
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella and provolone cheese (or just shredded provolone cheese)
- 1/4 cup shredded parmesan or Romano cheese
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease a 9 x 13 baking dish. Line the bottom of the dish with English muffin halves, cutting them as needed to fit.
In a large skillet over medium high heat, cook the ground sausatge with the onion until sausage is brown. Add in small diced apple and sage. Cook for another 3-5 minutes.
In a large mixing bowl, whisk together eggs, half and half, salt and pepper. Stir in shredded cheeses. Stir in sausage mixture into the egg mixture and pour over English muffins. ***At this point you can cover the dish and refrigerate overnight.
Bake in the preheated oven for 45 minutes to 1 hour, until set (uncovered).
***Make Ahead Instructions: This recipe can easily be made ahead the night before and stored in the refrigerator. Simply follow all instructions and complete the entire recipe. Instead of baking, cover the dish with plastic wrap and place in the refrigerator. Bake it in the morning as directed.