This hearty meal is so delicious with a complex flavor good enough for company, but feels like a comfort food. It’s fairly easy and comes together in your slow cooker. Serve it with rice, noodles, or mash potatoes, make sure you sop up all that delicious gravy!
- 5-6 slices bacon, chopped
- 2 1/2 to 3 pounds boneless chuck roast (cut into 1 inch cubes)
- 1 cup red wine
- 2 cups beef broth
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup flour
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme, finely chopped
- 1 package baby carrots
- 1 pound baby potatoes (I use tri-color)
- 2 cartons of babybella sliced mushrooms
- Fresh chopped parsley for garnish
In a large skillet, fry bacon over medium high heat until crisp. Put bacon in slow cooker. Salt and pepper the beef and add to the skillet and sear on each side for 2-3 minutes. Transfer beef to the slow cooker.
Add the red wine to the skillet and scrap down the brown bits on the side. Allow it to simmer and reduce and slowly add beef broth, tomato sauce, and soy sauce. Slowly whisk in the flour. Whisk until mostly smooth. Add the sauce to the slow cooker.
Add garlic, thyme, carrots, potatoes, and mushrooms to the slow cooker. Give it a good stir and cook on low until beef is tender, approximately 8 hours or high for 6 hours. Garnish with fresh parsley and serve over rice or mashed potatoes.