PASTA e FAGIOLI (Pronounced “Pasta Fazool”)
Nothing like a hearty soup to delight your soul! Here’s a family favorite that is full of healthy vegetables and protein rich cannellini beans. Comes together quickly and the entire family will love it!
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/3 cup finely chopped pancetta
- 1 Kielbasa, cut up in 1 inch rounds
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 carrots, finely chopped
- 2 celery stalks, finely chopped
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 can, 28 oz. San Marzano whole peeled tomatoes, either hand crushed, or food processor crushed
- 1 quart chicken broth
- 4 cans (15.5 oz.) cannellini beans (with liquid)
- 2 bay leaves
- pinch of red pepper flakes
- pinch of Italian seasoning
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- 3 cups Ditalini pasta (cook according to package directions)
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese (garnish)
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh parsley (garnish)
Heat the oil in a large Dutch oven. Cook the pancetta and Kielbasa in the oil for about 3 minutes. Add the onion, carrot, and celery and cook for 3 minutes or until it softens. Add the garlic and cook 1 minute more.
Pour in the broth, beans (with liquid), and bay leaves. Hand crush the tomatoes in a separate bowl, or place in a food processor for a few seconds. Add the tomatoes to the pot. Add a pinch of red pepper flakes and a pinch of Italian seasoning. Taste and add salt & pepper as you prefer. Cook for 45 minutes on simmer. (remove bay leaves when done).
While soup is cooking, prepare according to package directions. When done, set aside and let it cool. Add pasta to the soup and stir to combine.
Serve in bowls topped with a drizzle of olive oil, Parmesan cheese and a sprinkling of chopped parsley. Makes 4-5 quarts.