With cold weather and football to watch, what’s better than a big bowl of chili! I’m changing it up a bit with three different beans, lots of meat and spices, what’s not to enjoy! This recipe will feed a crowd!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 pounds lean hamburger meat
- 3 (15.5 oz.) cans red kidney beans
- 1 (15.5 oz.) can white kidney beans
- 1 (15 oz.) can Kirby black beans
- 1 (14.5 oz.) can fire roasted diced tomatoes
- 1 (15 oz.) can tomato sauce
- 1 (24.5 oz.) bottle or can tomato puree
- 1 package Carol Shelby’s Chili Kit
- 1 can (15.5 oz.) water
- added salt and pepper to taste
Optional to serve: Top with shredded cheddar cheese and sour cream, serve with crackers
Place a large pot or dutch oven on the stove, add olive oil and heat at medium-high heat. Add hamburger and brown, breaking up pieces for about 5 minutes. Add onion and red bell pepper and cook for about another 5 minutes.
Drain all the cans of beans and add the red and white kidney beans and the black beans to the pot and stir. Add the can of tomato sauce, fire roasted diced tomatoes and tomato purée, stir. Add one can of water.
Add the entire spice packet from the chili kit and stir to combine. If you like your chili mild do not add the cayenne pepper packet (add if you want it hot, according to your taste. You can as a little or as much as you like). If you want thicker chili, add the masa mix, again as little or as much as you want to thicken it. I add about 1 tablespoon.
Simmer on low for about 1 hours, stirring about every 15 minutes.
Serve in a bowl topped with cheddar cheese and sour cream (optional).