BEST EVER BEEF STEW
If you want comfort food at is finest, you have to try this recipe! The flavor is robust with the infusion of red wine. The mushrooms and bacon add complexity. This is a satisfying meal but is elevated for today’s palette.
- 6 pieces bacon, cut in 1 inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons olive oil to sauté
- 2 lbs. beef stew meat (chuck or better-cut into 1 inch pieces)
- 2 1/2 tsp. salt (or to taste)
- 1 1/2 tsp. freshly ground pepper, divided
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups good dry red wine
- 1 lb. button mushrooms, thickly sliced
- 4 carrots, peeled and cut into 1/2 in. pieces
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 Tbsp. tomato paste
- 4 cups beef broth, or beef stock
- 2 bay leaves (remember to remove them after cooked)
- 1/2 tsp. dried thyme
- 1 lb. small potatoes, new potatoes, or fingerling, halved or quartered
Optional: White rice cooked as directed on box to serve with beef stew or serve over mash potatoes)
Preheat oven to 325 degrees. In a large dutch oven (oven-proof pot), sauté bacon over medium heat until golden brown and fat is rendered. Using a slotted spoon, remove bacon to a separate bowl. While bacon is cooking, place beef in a large mixing bowl and season with salt and pepper. Sprinkle beef with flour and toss to combine and evenly coated.
In 2 batches, transfer beef to hot bacon fat and cook over med/high heat until beef is browned (about 2-3 min. per side). Add olive oil if needed. Transfer browned beef to the bowl with bacon.
Add 2 cups red wine to the pot that you fried beef in and bring to a boil, scraping the bottom to deglaze the pot. Add sliced mushrooms and simmer over medium heat for about 10 minutes.
Meanwhile, heat a large non-stick skillet over medium/high heat and add 2 Tbsp. olive oil. Add sliced carrots, diced onion, and 4 chopped garlic cloves. Sauté 4 min. Add 2 Tbsp. tomato paste and sauté another minute. Transfer veggies to the soup pot.
Add 4 cups beef broth, 2 bay leaves, 1/2 tsp. dried thyme, 1 tsp. salt, and 1/2 tsp. pepper. Return beef and bacon to the pot then add potatoes. Stir to combine and make sure potatoes are submerged in liquid. Cover with lid and bake at 325 degrees for 1 hour and 45 min.
(Note: You can skim off any excess fat from top for healthier stewI)
Serve over white rice or mash potatoes. Serves 8