This is an old favorite Spanish soup that we use to eat a lot of as kids. It’s delicious and healthy and it goes a long way! It’s a white bean soup that hearty meals are made of. Caldo GALLEGO is a meal on its own or an amazing starter!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 Chorizo, cut into 1/4 inch rounds
- 2 packets Goya Ham-flavored Concentrate, mixed with 11 cups of water
- 1 ham hock or left over ham bone
- 2 russet potatoes,, peeled and cut into 3/4” cubes
- 4 cans (15.5 oz.) cannellini beans
- 5 cups chopped collard greens (approx.)
- salt and pepper to taste
In a large heavy pot, add olive oil and fry onions, Chorizo and ham hock on medium high heat for approximately 10 minutes. Chorizo will produce a lot of grease and color will start to turn reddish.
Add 11 cups of water to the pot and two packets of ham-flavored concentrate. Add collar greens and cook on medium heat for approximately 25 minutes. Scoop out any foam or oil that floats to the surface.
Add cannellini beans with their liquid and the potatoes to the pot. Stir and cook for another 45 minutes.
Remove ham hock and cut any ham of the bone and add back to the soup, discard the fat and bones. Ladle off excess fat from the top and discard.
To serve, divide soup amount serving bowls. Top with parmesan cheese if desired.