- 4 skinless chicken thighs
- 2 skinless and boneless chicken breasts (cut in half)
- 4 T olive oil
- 1 C flour
- 1 onion, diced
- 6 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- 2 – 14.5 oz. Hunt’s Diced Tomatoes (w/sweet onions)
- 1 C chicken broth
- 2 T Sofrito
- 3 T capers, drained
- 1/2 heaping cup pitted & stuffed Manzanilla olives, drained
- 1/4 C coarsely chopped fresh basil for garnish
- White rice cooked as directed on box
Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper. Dredge in flour to lightly coat. In large, covered frying pan, heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Work in batches, and cook the chicken until browned on both sides, approximately 5 minutes per side. Transfer chicken to a plate with paper towels, and let drain. You may need to add more olive oil as needed. When chicken is all browned, add the onions, garlic and oregano to the pan, sauté until onion is tender, about 5 minutes. Add the sofrito and stir well. Add the tomatoes with the juices, broth, olives, and capers. Heat to a slow boil. Add the chicken back into the frying pan. Simmer the chicken on low for about 45 minutes, uncovered. Stir occasionally. (You can make this ahead and cover on the stove, heat up again right before serving).
Serve the chicken over white rice. Place rice on the plate, top with desired pieces of chicken. Spoon juices over the chicken and rice. Sprinkle with chopped fresh basil right before serving.