CRACKED CONCH KEYS STYLE
- 1 pound whole conch, pre-tenderized if possible
- 2 cups four, seasoned with salt and pepper
- 2 cups panko breadcrumbs, seasoned with salt and pepper
- 2 large eggs, beaten, seasoned with salt and pepper
- 2 T half & half
- 1 cup canola oil for frying
- lemon and limes for garnish
- cocktail sauce or tartar sauce (your preference)
- Purchase the best conch you can find from a fish market. If you can find conch from the Bahamas, that is the best in my opinion. I found this package at Key Largo Fisheries and it is already tenderized. They run it through a machine:
You will still have to pound the conch with a mallet. Place the conch inside a plastic bag and pound until the meat is almost breaking apart. This is the trick to getting the conch meat really tender.
Prepare three plates; flour, beaten eggs with 2 T half & half, and panko. Make sure to season each component with salt and pepper to layer flavors. Take the pieces of the tenderized conch and dredge in flour, then dip in egg mixture, then coat with panko bread crumbs. Finish coating all the conch and set aside.
Heat the canola oil on med. to med.-high heat. Fry coated conch in oil until golden brown on each side. Keep a close eye, it won’t take too long. Transfer to dry paper towel to drain the oil. Serve on a large platter with sliced lemons and limes. Accompany the dish with cocktail sauce or tartar sauce if preferred. Squeeze fresh lemon juice on conch right before eating.