You can have a wonderful “High-Tea” at home with your favorite friends. This group of friends are my Mah Jongg buddies. It was my pleasure to have them over for a tea-party and an afternoon of playing Mah Jongg. Here is my menu and recipes for a diverse array of favorites. Some are homemade, some are semi-homemade and some are store bought. All and all, a great combination.
- Stuffed mini-peppers with goat cheese (see recipe on blog)
- Goat Cheese & prosciutto tarts (see recipe on blog)
- assorted cheese tray: brie, manchego, gouda, or your favorites!
Start with a festive glass of Champagne, my favorite is: Francois Montang (Great price for a tasty bottle of Champagne) Drop in a couple of fresh raspberries. You can add orange juice if anyone wants a Mimosa.
Pull out your beautiful silver service and trays! I serve three types in three different teapots. Make sure you have honey, sugar, various sweeteners, and cream.
- Passion fruit
- Organic Chai
- Earl Gray
- Selection of tea bags from Tea Forte
Side note: This antique is a “Slice a Slice”. You can only get it on Ebay, but it makes perfect thin slices!
CUCUMBER TEA SANDWICHES:
- 1 very thin, fresh bread loaf (use “Very Thin” white sliced bread from Partridge Farms–14 slices)
- 1 English or seedless cucumber, peeled and thinly sliced
- 4 ounces cream cheese (can use low-fat)
- 1/2 stick of unsalted soft butter
- kosher salt
- black pepper
- 1/2 tsp. fresh dill weed
side of each piece of bread with a thin layer of butter then with a layer of the cream cheese mixture (the butter will keep the bread from getting soggy.) Top one of the slices with the cucumber slices, all slightly overlapping and top with the other piece of bread. Cut the crusts off using a gentle sawing motion with a bread knife. Cut in threes (oblong). MAKES 21 sandwiches.
TURKEY, CRANBERRY AND WALNUT CREAM CHEESE TEA SANDWICHES
- 16 slices, rye or pumpernickel bread
- 1/2 lb. thinly sliced turkey (Boar’s Head)
- 4 oz. cream cheese
- 1/4 C walnuts, chopped
- 1/4 C dried cranberries, chopped
- 2 to 2 1/2 inch round cookie or biscuit cutter
GOAT CHEESE AND WATERCRESS TEA SANDWICHES ON CINNAMON-RAISIN BREAD:
- 2 -5 1/2 oz. logs soft fresh goat cheese (such as Montrachet), room temperature
- 1/2 C chopped watercress leaves
- 20 thin slices cinnamon-raisin sandwich bread (buy at bakery and have them slice it thin)
- 5 T unsalted butter, room temp.
- 3/4 C finely chopped toasted pecans
- 1/3 C chopped raisins
- Watercress sprigs (for garnish)
Tuna & Capers Tea Sandwiches
- 4 cans (5 oz. ea.) solid white tuna packed in water, drained well
- 1/3 C mayonnaise, plus more for spreading
- 1/4 C finely chopped red onion
- 4 Teaspoons caper, rinsed and drained, chopped
- 1 T fresh lemon juice
- 1 T Dijonnaise
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano, crumbled between your fingers.
- loaf of very thin rye or wheat bread
- 1/4 C mustard
- 2 T mayonnaise
- 2 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 8 oz. shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 C jumbo lump crabmeat, chopped
- 1 pkg. (9.5 ounces) Pepperidge Farm Mini Puff Pastry Shells (these are hard to find, you can also order these on-line from “The Vermont Country Store: Pastry Shells set/3 pkgs. of 4 shells
In small bowl, combine mustard, mayo and Worcestershire sauce. Add crabmeat and cheese and mix by had until well.
Remove “lid” from the mini puff pastries. Fill pastry shells with crab mixture and place lid on top.
Bake in pre-heated oven at 425 degrees on parchment-lined baking sheets for 15 minutes or until light golden brown.
EGG SALAD TEA SANDWICH:
- 8 large eggs
- 1/4 tsp. Kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp. fresh cracked black pepper
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tsp. tarragon vinegar
- 1 1/2 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1/4 C fresh chives, thinly sliced
- unsalted soften butter for spreading
- 20 slices very this wheat bread (Pepperidge Farm’s Very Thin Wheat Bread)
- 2-3 tart apples-peeled, cored and chopped, such as Granny Smith
- 1 T lemon juice
- 1 C seedless grapes, cut in half
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1/4 C mayonnaise
- 1/2 C Coolwhip
- 3 T apple juice
- 1/4 tsp. celery seed
- 4 T chopped walnuts plus 2 T for garnish
- 1 small green onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 C raisins (or golden raisins)
In medium bowl, combine apples and lemon juice, and then add the grapes, raisins, green onions and celery.
In a separate bowl, whisk together the mayonnaise, apple juice, cool whip, walnuts, and celery seeds. Spoon over the apple mixture and gently toss together. Place in serving bowl and sprinkle with 2 T walnuts. (cover tightly with plastic wrap and store in frig until ready to serve).
Have jams and spreads on the side: Cotted cream, Strawberry Preserves, Orange Marmalade, Guava Jam, Lemon Curd, Old Farmhouse Chutney
DRIED CRANBERRY, WALNUT AND LEMON SCONES:
- 2 T plus 1 C sugar
- 2 T fresh lemon juice, divided
- 3 C all purpose flour
- 1 T baking powder
- 1 T finely grated lemon peel
- 1 tsp. salt
- 3/4 C (1 1/2 sticks) chilled unsalted butter, diced
- 1 C dried sweetened cranberries
- 1/2 C coarsely chopped walnuts
- 1/2 C (or more) chilled half and half, divided
Position rack in top third of oven: preheat to 375 degrees. Line baking sheet with parchment paper. Whisk 2 T sugar and 1 T lemon juice in bowl for glaze. Whisk flour, baking powder, lemon peel, salt, and 1 C sugar in large bowl. Add chilled butter; using fingertips, rub in until coarse meals forms. Mix in cranberries and walnuts. Add 1/2 C half and half and 1 T lemon juice. Toss with fork until dough comes together in moist clumps, adding more half and half if dough is dry. Gather dough into ball; divid in half. Press out each half on floured surface to 6 inch diameter (1 inch-high) round. Cut each round into 6 wedges. Transfer to baking sheet; brush with glaze. Bake scones until golden and tester comes out clean, about 18 minutes. Serve warm or at room temperature.
LUSH COCONUT, PINEAPPLE PUDDING CAKE
- 1 box white or yellow cake mix
- 1 pkg. (3.4 oz.) vanilla instant pudding mix
- 1 C water
- 1 can (13.5 oz.) cream of coconut, divided (3/4 C used in cake batter)
- 3 large eggs
- 1 box (3.4 oz.) vanilla instant pudding
- 1 small can crush pineapple, drained
- 1 C cream of coconut (remainder)
- 1/2 C shredded coconut
- 1/2 C chopped walnuts
VARIOUS Petit Fours:
Purchase these from the bakery at Publix, Wholefoods, or Fresh Market. You can also find some in the freezer section. I chose the following: (Display on doilies and try to use some elevated and stacked serving pieces):
- mini cream puffs
- mini eclairs
- chocolate cover strawberries
- vanilla and chocolate cakes
EXTRA: CAKE POPS
I bought a kit from Starbucks, everything was included. Just follow directions!
I even provided lovely see-through boxes for guest to take home pastries and sandwiches that were left over! You can order them on line at http://www.amazon.com.