Step into Morocco with this super tasty harissa chicken. Lots of heat and smoky spices combine to make this one dish meal fantastic. Serve over white rice and enjoy every bite!
- 6 chicken thighs, skinless, boneless plus 2 chicken breasts, skinless, boneless
- 1/2 large red onion, sliced half rings
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- 4 tablespoons Harissa sauce
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons smokked paprika
- 2 tablespoons pressed garlic (about 2 cloves)
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 15-oz. can chickpeas, drained
- Optional: fresh cilantro leaves for garnish
Have a 3 quart baking dish ready. Preheat the oven to 450 degrees. Place the chicken in the baking dish, large enough to hold the chicken snugly. Sprinkle the chicken on both sides with salt and freshly ground pepper to taste. Scatter the onions over the chicken.
In a small bowl, stir the harissa, olive oil, cumin, smoked paprika, garlic, lemon juice, add about 1/2 teaspoon salt. Use a whisk or fork to mix well. Pour mixture over the chicken and onions and toss the chicken around to coat.
Bake 20 minutes uncovered. after 20 minutes, add the chickpease to the baking dish and flip the chicken pieces over. Cover with foil and continue to bake for another 20 minutes. After that 20 minutes, take the foil off and set under the boiler for approximately 5-7 minutes, keeping a good eye on it, to brown (turn on the broiler, but leave the dish in the same spot). The juices should be bubbling.
Serve with white rice or cooked couscous, (Optional): sprinkle fresh cilantro over when plating.