- 3 pounds russet potatoes, peeled and cut in small cubes
- 1/2 red onion, small diced
- 2 celery stalks, diced
- 1/2 cup bread and butter pickles, finely minced
- 7 hard-boiled eggs (6 diced and one sliced in rings for garnish) (Make sure to boil the eggs ahead or use ready-made hard boiled eggs-Eggland’s Best)
- 3/4 cup mayonnaise (either Duke’s or Hellmann’s)
- 2 tablespoons yellow mustard
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- Sprinkle lots of paprika on top
- salt and pepper to taste
Bring a large pot of water to boil, add salt to the water (about a tablespoon). Add the potatoes and boil for 7 to 10 minutes, depending on the size of the potato. Keep an eye on them and at 7 minutes, pierce with a fork, if the fork pierces easy, they are ready. Keep cooking until this is achieve. When the potatoes are tender, strain and place them in a large bowl of ice water to stop the cooking. Drain again and place in a large bowl.
Add the onion, celery, pickles, and the 6 chopped hard boiled eggs into the large bowl with the potatoes. In a separate bowl, add the mayonnaise, yellow mustard and sugar; stir to combine. Pour the mayonnaise mixture over the potatoes and other ingredients. With a large spoon or rubber spatula, fold everything together until it is very well combined. Taste and add salt and pepper as needed.
Garnish with one egg that has been cut in rings, placing the rings around the top of the potato salad. Sprinkle with paprika.
Optional: garnish with additional thinly sliced green onion
(Stored covered and always refrigerate, can last up to 4 days, do not freeze)