This is an absolute amazing cake!! It may seem intimidating, but it really is not hard at all and the rewards are worth it. I am sure if you try it, it will become one of your favorites and everyone will rave!
Ingredients for Cake:
- 1 package Duncan Hines Devil’s Food cake mix
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 C vegetable oil
- 1 1/3 C Coke (use Coke in place of water)
Ingredients for Flan:
- 1 can (12 oz.) evaporated milk (regular, not light)
- 1 can (14 oz.) sweetened condensed milk
- 3 eggs
- 1 T vanilla extract
You will also need:
- 1 bottle of Cajeta (Mexican caramel or a regular caramel sauce such as Smuckers) I ordered the Cajeta on line at Amazon.com.
- Pam for baking to spray bundt pan
- large bundt pan
- large baking pan filled with 2 inches of water to place the bundt pan in (water bath)
- mixing bowl with a spout and handle to pour the flan mixture into the bundt pan
- Maraschino cherries to decorate
Heat oven to 350 degrees. Spray bundt pan with Pam for baking. Follow the directions on the cake box with the above ingredients, the only change is using the Coke IN PLACE of the water. Set aside.
Put the flan ingredients into a blender or food processor and mix well, until well blended. IMPORTANT: Pour the flan mixture into a bowl with a spout with a handle, this will be much easier to use as you follow the recipe!
Pour the caramel sauce into the bottom of the bundt pan. Then pour the cake batter on top of the caramel sauce. Next, pour the flan mixture (which you should have already put into a bowl with a spout and handle) gently down one side of the bundt pan. The flan will go to the bottom and the cake mix will raise up a bit as the flan mixture fills the bottom of the pan. (Believe me, this works!)
Set the bundt pan in a larger pan that you have filled with about 2 inches of water. This is creating a double boiler effect, this is what you would do if you were cooking just a flan, it’s referred to as a “water bath”.
Put it all in the oven and bake it for 1 hour to 1 hour and 10 minutes. The cake should be done when you insert a toothpick and it comes out dry, remember this cake will stay more moist than most cakes you’ve made. It will separate a bit from the pan when it’s done.
Let it cool and refrigerate for several hours.
Take it out two hours before you plan to serve. Turn the bundt pan over and let it sit while warming to room temperature.
The bundt pan should then lift off to reveal a layer of flan, topped with caramel sitting on top a very moist chocolate cake. Place the cherries around the top of the cake to decorate. It’s delicious!!