- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil, divided (plus more if needed)
- 1 sweet onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- 6 (14-oz.) cans cherry tomatoes, divided (such as Mutti; you can purchase on Amazon)
- 1 bunch fresh basil roughly chopped
- 1 -4 oz. box fresh mushrooms
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tsp. Italian Seasoning
- 1 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, divided (more if needed)
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- 3 eggs
- 3 cups Panko seasoned Italian breadcrumbs
- 4 cups grated mozzarella cheese
- 4 skinless boneless chicken breast halves, cut in half lengthwise (Makes 8 pieces), pounded to about 1/4 in. Thick
- *optional, Angel Hair pasta cooked according to package directions.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In large Dutch oven, heat 2 tbsp. Oil. Add chopped onion and garlic and cook about 4 minutes. Add 2 cans of the cherry tomatoes with the liquid. Strain the remaining 4 cans, then add to the pot. Add 1 tsp. Italian Seasoning and 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese. Using a wooden spoon or potato masher, break up the tomatoes. Add the mushrooms. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Simmer for about 20-25 minutes. Turn off the heat and add the basil.
Cut the 4 skinless boneless chicken breast in halves lengthwise making 8 pieces. Place the pieces between plastic wrap and pound with a mallet until about 1/4 inches thick. Salt and Pepper both sides.
In a shallow bowl or paper plate, whisk eggs, lightly add salt and pepper. In another bowl or paper plate, combine breadcrumbs and 1/2 cup Parmesan, add small amount of salt and pepper and mix. Place the chicken in egg mixture, then dredge in breadcrumb mixture, turning to coat.
In a large skillet over medium heat, heat 3 tbsp. Oil. Working in batches, cook chicken about 2 1/2 minutes per side or until golden. Transfer to a plate with paper towels to drain.
In a 13 1/2 by 10 inch baking dish, layer sauce, chicken, and a little more sauce on top. Top with the remaining mozzarella and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Bake 20-25 minutes until the cheese is melted and bubbly. Serves 8.
*(serve over your favorite pasta cooked according to package directions. I like Angel Hair, put a little sauce over the pasta with some cheese).
Side Note: After you put sauce over the chicken, and you want more sauce for the spaghetti, you can add a jar of your favorite spaghetti sauce to what’s left in the Sauce pot to stretch out the amount of sauce available for the spaghetti.