ITALIAN RICOTTA CAKE WITH COCONUT
Follow directions on cake mix box for 2 layers, but add an additional 2 T Wesson oil. When cake is done and cooled, slice layers in half (now 4 layers). I used 9″ pans, but you can use 8 ” too. Refrigerate the cake until needed. Then prepare the following icing:
- 3 lbs. Ricotta cheese (fresh)
- 1 lb. box 10X powdered sugar
- 3 C chopped pecans or walnuts
- 12 maraschino cherries (chopped)
- 8 maraschino cherries (cut in half for decoration)
- 1 Hershey almond bar, chopped fine
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. nutmeg
Blend by hand all ingredients listed above (except the 8 cherries for decoration, set those aside). Spread generous between layers of cake. Cover top and sides with remainder.
- 7 oz. bag shredded coconut
Cover entire cake with shredded coconut. The icing will be a little loose and the coconut helps bind it. Use your hands for this step. Cut 8 cherries in half and place one half in the center, then place the rest around the top in a circle. (can be a little messy, so place wax paper or paper towels under the cake.)FINAL INSTRUCTIONS: This cake must be kept in refrigerator and tastes better if prepared a day before serving.