A New Year tradition and especially important for 2022! Happy New Year everyone, make sure to eat your Black Eye Peas for luck!
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 pieces of garlic, minced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 12-16 ounces collard greens, fresh, chopped into bite size pieces, stems removed (I buy them already cut up)
- 1 cup ham, cut up or ham hock
- 2 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 cans black eye peas (15.5 ounces each with liquid)
In a large pot or Dutch oven, heat on medium for a couple of minutes. Add olive oil. Add onion and cook approximately 5 minutes, add garlic and cook 1 minute more. Add collards to the pot, stir and cover and cook for 10 minutes.
Add cut up ham or ham hock and chicken broth. Add salt and pepper to taste. Lower heat to medium-low, cover and cook for 30 minutes. Add both cans of black eye peas and stir. Cover and cook another 30 minutes. Great served with corn bread!